This message came from the Transmission Customer Solutions Manager at Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA), our wholesale electric provider, at 6:20 p.m., February 15, 2021:
The ERCOT grid is still at a critical stage in trying to meet the load demand.
Current ERCOT generation is at 48,000 MW capacity and forecasts are predicting approximately 70,000 MW in generation to meet demand.
Projections do not appear to get any better through the night or tomorrow.
-The Transmission Customer Solutions Manager stresses that we must do everything we can to conserve energy in our homes.
Here are some tips to reduce electricity use:
- Turn down thermostats to 68-degrees.
- Close shades and blinds to reduce the amount of heat lost through windows.
- Turn off and unplug non-essential lights and appliances.
- Avoid using large appliances (i.e., ovens, washing machines, etc.).
- Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
- Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.